Thursday, August 28, 2008

Third Times' a Charm

There is no biz like show biz and tonight was the closest thing I've ever come to that.

I might as well have walked onto the red carpet. Such celebrities as, The ever present Spike Lee, Jamie Foxx, Chevy Chase, Kal Penn, Jessica Alba, Jennifer Garner, and probably more hidden between the rows of the delegates sections.


There is so much too much to tell for the amount of time I have before the coffee wears off and my creative mind shuts down. So bear with me, I'll get down what I can tonight and finish it up in the morning.

Today Michael and I headed out for a quick run to the MSNBC out door studio where we encountered the usual characters:









We then hopped on the shuttle to head over to the Pepsi Center for it's last day hosting the Democratic National Convention.
Cutting right to the chase today? That's because we woke up s
o late due to my staying up until 2.

We arrived at the Pepsi Center earlier than usual. We hung around the dark room and walked around the floor until about 6. A man with Canon approached us telling us that Mark had asked him to hook us up with some
Canon 5D's! Now all of my pictures will be high res and awesome to match my writing skills.

Equipped now with my Canon I headed over to my camera stand running into Katie Couric on
the way.








After I entered the convention hall I didn't leave it until the convention recessed for the day.
Almost immediately Robin and I entered the buffer. Our plan was that since yesterday I got locked out I would hand the disks off to Joe, the editor correspondent who would meet me at the gate. This method worked excellently.

The first famous person I met that night will make my mother very happy:















Luke Russert

I found him interviewing someone for CNN in the stead of his father no doubt.

I only ran about 3 times over the course of the exciting, speech filled night. The list of the speakers for the night are as follows:
Sen. Jack Reed

Former Sen. Tom Daschle
Bill Clinton









Sen. John Kerry
Gov. Bill Richardson (
Did not speak)
Rep. Chet Edwards
Iraq war veteran
Tammy Duckworth
Sen. Joe Biden
(To accept Vice President Nomination)

Right as I began to head down to the buffer I saw, you guessed it, Spike Lee yet again. I was very close to getting a picture but he didn't look to thrilled when he was mobbed by a group of people. So I decided to back off.

It didn't take long for me to find out that tonight would be the most exciting night so far.
Because as soo
n as Bill Clinton was brought on stage the crowd exploded waving American flags and cheering their hearts out for literally 10 minutes. It took so long to quiet the crowd down that Bill Clinton had to get very serious and tell every one sternly to calm down.

Bill Clinton's speech was pure dynamite. He started his speech by saying that Barack Obama hit the ball out of the park when he picked Joe Biden.




"I love Joe Biden." Was exactly what he said.
Bill Clinton also talked about how people called him "too young and too inexperienced" when he was running for president. "Sound familiar?"

Of course Clinton was hinting that Obama was called that as well. Clinton won when they said that he led America through one of the strongest economic time periods in it's history.

Bill Clinton told the audience that "Barack Obama is ready to lead"

During this speech the coolest thing of the night happened to me. I was crouching down in the buffer and I turned around to see the one and only Chevy Chase! I was so shocked I took a double take. Then as fate would have it a woman came over to him and had the nerve to tell him that he was in her seat. So being a chivalrous celebrity, Chase removed himself and knelt down right beside me.

Some guy said to him "Welcome to our world" and that was when I extended my hand to him and said "It's a pleasure to meet you Mr. Chase." I'm way too courteous for my own good when meeting celebrities. He shook my hand and I asked him for a picture, obliging, I flipped the camera around and took a picture of us.














Too bad I
am such an ugly person or it would have been a great picture.

After Clinton's amazing, true speech John Kerry was up.

A lot of people said that his speech was redeeming. I thought it was pretty good but he looked so old. Just four years ago he looked so young and hopeful. Now he looked old and worn. But his speech "raised him up a step" said Mark.


After a few other speakers the Man of the night, Joe Biden took the stage.
He was an amazing sight. His story is phenomenal. Elected to the senate at 29, lost his wife and daughter in a car crash and spent 4 hours a day commuting from D.C to Delaware just to see his kids.

He also kept up with the theme of the convention: "McCain is wrong and Obama is Right" Simple and true. Biden claims that Obama and him will help raise the minimum wage. And keeping with his "Violence Against Women Act" he stressed equal pay for women who do equal work.

Well the night is over right? Biden gave his powerful, enthralling, speech. But wait, a special guest? Could it be? Oh yes it was:
Barack Obama

When Barack Obama walked out of that door and stepped onto the stage already burning from the fiery energy that was the people in attendance at the DNC I was sent into shock. For whatever reason, seeing this man so close and so alive was just the turning point in the trip for me. I have never been more excited about Change then I ever was that moment. He began to talk, simply congratulating Bill and Hillary Clinton, Joe Biden, Bo Biden, who introduced his father and the rest of the speakers.

He told us he'd see us Thursday and proceeded to greet the Biden family and whoever else was on stage.

Right before he left however He pointed at the people in the buffer, right where I was standing and looked everyone in the eye. He covered about a span of 10 feet with this motion and he caught my eye for about half a second. It probably helped that I was the tallest one there.
This made my night.
Or so I thought i had thought...

After the spectacular final day at the Pepsi Center Mark, Michael, Larry (a guy on staff) and myself went out the Denver Diner for some quick food. When we got there however we found that a rumor was going around that Barack Obama would be showing up to eat there that night!

I became ecstatic. I've never eaten a hamburger so slowly before. We all did everything we could to keep us at our table. Ordered dessert, coffee, made small talk with the waitress. But in the end it was just an extra hour of
time I didn't have to write up this blog. Because all the signs that were posted up touting "Obama
Biden" were taken down after the "Check out" guy came and left. He came to check on the place and make sure it was safe for Mr. Obama.


Well I guess something went wrong because we never did see Barack Obama in that restaurant. But we were ready for him. All Camera's and handshakes.


So now I sit here in bed at 3 am desiring nothing more than to go to sleep so I can be ready for the biggest day of them all tomorrow.


Hopefully I will get enough sleep. We plan to head over to Mile High Stadium ASAP. So no afternoon posts. But I will have more than enough to talk about tomorrow. But for now

Goodnight.

Peace.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Graham,
I am Maureen Skea's sister, your mom's friend, and Maureen passed your blogspot on to us. I've been following it for days and must say, I am very impressed with your enthusiasm and your intelligence. Anyway, just wanted to let you know I saw you on TV last night. It was right after Bill Clintons speech, I was watching Fox News - the cameras were roaming around, the zoomed in on Chevy Chase and you walked right in front of the camera!! I called my sister to let her know! I was very excited. Thanks for sharing all this with us. I'm sure it is an experience you will never forget!!
Regards, Beth Skea Sarre