Thursday, August 28, 2008

A Night to Remember

What was a defining moment in American history was also the most exciting point in my life.

When Michael and I arrived at Mile High Stadium we had no idea where to go and spent the first half hour roaming around the stadium. When eventually we called that guy Jon Sachs that I mentioned in my first or second post, he didn't help us much.

But we did eventually find the digital da
rk room and from there we went out separate ways. I headed over to the camera stand to the right of the stage, as directed by Stan Honda, and Michael to the left. When I went over to Robin, the photographer I usually run for, she told me that she didn't really need my help for the day because she had a computer with which she could upload the pictures.
This didn't make me feel terribly good about myself but at least I had
the rest of the Convention to myself.


So I walked around a bit, saw Lil JJ again, saw the Reverend Jesse Jackson but otherwise no one else really notable. Then it started getting exciting. John Legend and Wyclef Jean hit the stage to do a duet.









Up next was Sheryl Crowe. She did a whole 4 song set. Then Stevie Wonder did two songs. As always he got the crowd up and singing to "Sign Sealed Delivered" I really liked Sheryl Crowe the best and thought that all of the musical performances were great. The only disappointing part of the whole night actually was the lack of a Bruce Springsteen set. I was really thought he would jump up on stage during one of the dozen times they played "Born in the USA".
Oh well.

Bill Richardson, who didn't get a chance to make his speech last night made a very strong speech tonight. Now I don't have any quotes because I was so overwhelmed by where I was that I didn't get a chance to write anything down.

I was also being hassled by the police and what I guess you can call a "guard" even though they were just normal people keeping other normal people, like myself out of
the closer regions of the floor. For this reason alone my night was dampened.

It made me angry because the "authoritative" people keeping me from a good view of the stage told me to keep moving back and "clear the aisle".
There is only one problem, there was no where else to go. They closed off the exit to the right wing, if you will, of the field.

So I'm stuck in limbo moving back and forth, getting told to go back. It was probably the
stupidest situation I have ever encountered. The speeches go on until Al Gore, Nobel Peace Prize winner, hits the stage for a solid, Pro- Obama speech.

Al Gore went on for a bit about where the country would be if he was elected president. Gore told of a greener future possible if Obama were elected President of the United States. When I see these men and women making speeches talking about how Barack Obama will accomplish what they wanted to accomplish had they been elected to office I hope that the following of these people will take to Obama. That is obviously the goal but if it worked than Obama and McCain wouldn't be 50 50 in the polls!

After Al Gore, Vice President candidate Joe
Biden came to the mic to just keep the tone on Obama and warm up the crowd, like they would need much warming up. He said that with Barack Obama the country can become a powerhouse again, a leader and a visionary.

After Biden left a myriad of common people from all over the country came up to the podium to tell their stories and why Obama is their vote for President.

One woman was a republican turned democrat. Another was a man who lost his job to a foreign worker. I found these speeches a wonderful addition to the entire experience. The whole message of the "change America needs". Then a senator from Illinois made a speech followed by a long video telling part of Barack Obama's story.

And without introduction the man himself, the reason we were all the, the future of the country, nay, the world, stepped on to the floor and up to the podium to address the country. Barack Obama opened his speech with his accepting the democratic nomination for president of the United States. It didn't take that long to quiet down the crowd either time due to the respect from the crowd and the desire to hear what their future president would say.

Obama made many important points during his speech. He said that he didn't think McCain didn't care about the problems of the people in America, he just didn't know about them. He also answered some questions brought up over the campaign such as his patriotism. Obama argued that he can't disagree with other politicians without them questioning his patriotism. I also have a take on this. If Obama didn't love this country why would he be doing everything in his power to make it better?

Barack Obama stated that the campaign was never about him but about "you" the people. Obama stressed that the election was not just about politics or even other worldly matters. It is also about reviving the sense of common purpose. To care for your brothers and sisters and to achieve your own goals. This is what Barack Obama tries to drive home with his powerful speech.

"What some people don't understand is that change isn't coming from Washington, but to it" This was welcomed warmly by the crowd because it insinuates that the Obama campaign message of "Change we can believe in" When the speech ended, fire works erupted from all around the stage.

Joe Biden came out and he and Obama posed
around the podium while the most patriotic of patriotic music played. When he finished I had chills throughout my body. I had stood for so long that my legs were numb but my mind was rushing. I kept thinking about what I had witnessed and if Barack Obama was the man for the future. I know one thing, if I could vote my choice would be simple.

I just hope the rest of America sees what he will bring and what this country can be capable of with a visionary like Barack Obama as commander in chief.


The 2008 Democratic National Convention ended on the note "Yes we can". I can only imagine what Barack Obama felt as he accepted the democratic presidential nomination. He becomes the first serious African American man to be nominated. He, alone, represents how far the African American race has come in this country. Will he win the presidency? Maybe. Maybe not. But for the first time in my life, someone has come along to bring the change that I need. To help change the future for the better. To secure my chance at being something in this world.

That someone is






Barack
Obama

No comments: