Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Dies Duos of Monesterium

Sequels are never as good as the first they say. Lucky for me the sequel to day one of the Democratic National convention was not a movie.
Though with people like Spike Lee and Charles Barkley present it sure could have been.
I'll start it off with the highlight of my night:














BAM, the Charles Barkley
Too bad I'm not as photogenic as I should be due to the fact that my father is a photographer.

Now that my personal ordeal is over with, Day 2!

No really big speakers tonight except for the number 2 democratic candidate, Hillary Clinton.
I guess it is appropriate she spoke on the second night. Other notable speakers in order from first to last are as follows:

Rep. Dennis Kuinich
Gov. Ed Rendell
Rep. Rahm Emanuel
Gov. Janet Napolitano
Gov. Kathleen Sebelius
Former Gov. Mark Warner (key note speaker)
Gov. Deval Patrick
Gov. Brian Schweitzer
Hillary Clinton









When I arrived at my station (by the New Mexico delegates) Robin, the photographer I run for had nothing for me to do so I walked around a bit, saw Spike Lee again (wearing his Undrcrwn
t shirt I may add). I also met this guy:















I thought my mom would like that. Again, I wish I was photogenic.

So the night continued on containing some if not most of the thrills of the previous night. But the coolest part by far was going to the buffer.

Down right in front of the stage there is a roped of place called the buffer. It is where all of the photographers with the proper credentials kneel and capture the magic of the speaker. Robin, has those credentials. I do too.

We went down to the buffer where you might as well have been sitting next to the person at the podium. So I'm sitting there, bewildered at how close I am to these famous politicians such as Mark Warner.

When I realize, I'm going to be here when Hillary Clinton comes up! Now I'm not a big fan of hers but I do appreciate all of her efforts and her strong determination to fight the prejudice she faces as a woman. But that is beside the point. So here I am taking these really good shots from my (calling it a front row seat would be an understatement) position when my photographer signals to me to come and pick up some disks.




I begin to head over to her but before I do I encounter some trouble with one of the "overseers". He tells me I have to go wait with the other runners (total runners: 2) but Mark, who was down in the buffer as well told him that I can wait right where I was waiting. I was very grateful to keep my perfect spot, or so I thought I would be keeping it.









I begin to push through the aisle and head towards the dark room. I deliver the disks successfully and begin to head back to the buffer when I am stopped by the guards at the entrance to the convention hall. Apparently no one was allowed in, NO ONE, except of course Bill Richardson who's guards got him through. I did get his signature though.










What happened was the Fire Marshall declared it a fire hazard for there to be that many people in the hall. Well Mr. Marshall don't you think it is also a fire hazard to have at least one hundred people blocking the entrances and exits of the auditorium? No I guess that didn't occur to you, or any one else.

To make a long brutal, saddening story short I was stuck in the outer hall for the reast of the night and I missed my perfect chance to snap some great photos of Hillary Clinton.
But as my editor correspondent told me, "Such is life". That allieviated some of the frustration because just because I'm missing Hillary Clinton doesn't mean it should ruin my night. I'll wait until Barack Obama is speaking for it to ruin my night. I should not talk such.

So I listen to Hillary Clinton's speech via television feed and occasionally run back to the gate to try and get a better look.





Her speech was pretty solid, it wasn't Michelle Obama's the previous night but it was extremely Pro-Obama. In her speech she emphasized the necessity of health care for every one in this country. She also talked about how voting in Barack Obama will help to alleviate our massive debt to China. "We can not depend on foreign oil any longer".

She also included in her speech saying that "Veterans should be receiving the care that they deserve" which is something I myself find trouble understanding why we have such a problem. These men risk their lives and when they come home they are resigned to low rate jobs, little pension and most are mentally and physically damaged from their experiences in war.

Hillary didn't seem too upset with Obama's pick of Joe Biden as Vice President either. She said that Joe Biden can help lessen the economic stress in our country because he has been through it.

"Experienced" is a very important quality in this election. People like to know that these men running for president have been through some of what they themselves have been through.
Mrs. Clinton also talked about how John McCain doesn't care about Women getting equal pay for equal men.

This night had its pros and cons.
Pros:
Met Charles Barkley
Got as close as possible to most of the speakers
Got a free pretzel and water
Learned a few more names

Cons:
Didn't get to be in the convention hall for end of speech giving
Didn't see Hillary Clinton's speech
Once again did not finish blog before next day. SORRY!

I am excited for the third day and hope that it gets more exciting. Oh and when we got back to the hotel Death Cab for Cutie was apparently finishing up their set in some warehouse like building across the street from our hotel.

Today Michael and myself will be heading up to the Center early to catch some of the musical acts. So no mid day post like usual.

In other news, KanYe West is rumored to be playing some where around the convention hall and we fully intend to go.

I have posted a photobucket album of all the pictures that didn't make it into the blog. I'm currently uploading them and it takes a while but you can still check it out.

Thats all for now.
Peace.
-Graham

No comments: